New Year’s Resolutions
My New Year’s Resolutions for 2020 are to not make any resolutions! Why should I make resolutions that I will break within the first month of the new year?
I always get excited about a new year and I make a list of new year’s resolutions and before February of the new year I’ve given up on practically everything on the list.
So this year, for the year 2020, my new year’s resolution is to not make any resolutions!
However, I do plan on making a few promises to myself for the year 2020.
Yeah, I know promises, plans, goals, they are all the same as a resolution. But don’t say that out loud because I’m trying to trick myself into achieving a few things in 2020 without calling them resolutions!
New Year’s Resolutions, that aren’t Resolutions
My new year’s NON-resolutions for 2020 are going to be some promises to myself to do better at some things and to not do a few other things.
Also, I’m determined to leave a few things behind in 2019. The past belongs behind me… in the past. It’s done, over with and gone, I cannot change it, so, therefore, I refuse to dwell on those things any longer.
Things I’m leaving behind in 2019
First I want to list the things that need to stay in the past. I have spent way too much time trying to re-hash my past mistakes. Dwelling on them and overthinking everything I’ve done in the past is not helping me. In fact, it only hurts me and depresses me. Time to move on!
Things I’m leaving behind in 2019:
- Regrets and “what-ifs”- I’ll no longer dwell on the “what-if” scenarios or have regrets on my past decisions and mistakes. I will stop overthinking everything I’ve done wrong in my past.
- Negative people- There will be no place for negative people in my life going forward into 2020. I’ve always tried to uplift and help those around me that are down or negative. But not now, not anymore. Their negativity only brings me down and does not help my depression.
- Fake Friends- Friends and even some family members that only pretend to care must remain behind as I go forward into the new year 2020. By “fake” I mean the ones that only pretend to care when they want something from me or think that I can or will do something for them. Otherwise, they never call, text message or come around. I deserve quality friends, and I have plenty of those that really truly care about me.
- Excuses- I’m leaving excuses behind me! I’ll no longer make excuses for my own feelings, opinions or decisions. I am who I am. I will not change. Hell, I don’t want to change. I like myself. I shouldn’t have to make excuses for how I feel just to make someone else feel better. So I will no longer allow someone to hurt my feelings and not stand up for myself.
New Year’s Promises to Myself
Now for the promises, I am making to myself in the new year 2020. Of course, some of them go along with the things I’m leaving behind in 2019.
Basically I want to improve my life, health, and happiness. Hopefully, this list of promises will help break things down into smaller goals.
These daily promises will keep me on track to a happier and more abundant life in 2020!
I promise myself:
- to live for the moment each and every day! Carpe Diem!!
- to seek happiness in everything I do each day.
- to practice gratitude daily
- to attend church regularly and get closer with God
- to spend more quality time with family
- to spend more quality time with my true, lifelong friends.
- to speak up for me. to say no when I want to.
- to save money
- to take more trips with Aubrey! and the rest of the family.
- to work on Family ancestry with Aubrey. this is important to her.
- to plan a trip that requires me to get on an airplane. Face a few fears!
Those are the basic ones. There are probably a few others I’ll add to the list before New Year’s Eve and maybe even as we move into the new year. I’m constantly a work in progress!
Best wishes for the new year!